Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Introducing the "Scale of Suffering" (SOS) as a means of measuring progress.

To chart progress through the various establishments and eating experiences, one must at this point introduce some way of recording the heat experience in a meaningful manner.
And so. I am introducing the "Scale of Suffering" as a way of grading each experience. The SOS relates to the most intense heat experience I have ever encountered, and I remember it well.
The night was way back in the late 80's. I was manager at an engineering company and we were going through a Chapter 11 situation and shedding a large percentage of our workforce. As manager it was my duty to pick people from within my team to "let go" and to sit down with each person individually and explain the reasons why. These were people with whom I had worked and developed close friendships over many years in some instances. It was a traumatic event and I was the lucky one, since I got to keep my job. After a miserable Friday, I went with a few buddies and hit the town, after which we attended the Light of Bengal on Yorkshire street, for a Curry.
Needing to feel bad I foolishly ordered a Vindaloo with instructions to make it as hot as could be. It was the most intense heat I have experienced, ever. I won't dwell on it, but suffice to say that it represents a maximum 100 on the SOS scale, and all future experiences will be graded against this.

Rooze

No comments:

Post a Comment