Tuesday, September 22, 2009

AC Tap, the new kid on the pepper block.

Well I quit work early one afternoon and stopped in at the AC Tap in Door County.

This little bar is located on HWY 57 just south of Sister Bay well before you hit Bailey's Harbor in northern Door.
On first encounter (there have been many), the Tap strikes you as a typical small-town Wisconsin bar, more than a 'local' (you know the type). Surprisingly enough the owner of the Tap imposed a ban on smoking inside the building some time ago. I find that quite amazing, in a positive sense. It isn't what you'd expect to find in a little bar like this, a very welcome and refreshing change. I don't care much for lung cancer with my chicken wings, so kudos goes to Steve, the owner of the Tap.

Now to business.

Look at the menu and there is nothing stand-out on the spicy-hot front. A typical assortment of bar food and fried delicacies to harden even the most seasoned arteries.

So to start the evaluation process I ordered their hot wings and a cup of chili, with special request to deliver a bottle of whatever their hottest sauce was.

To my surprise they have Frank's Extra Hot sauce, which I used liberally in my chili and on my chicken wings.
Now at this point I need to make a stand against the kind of chicken that inhabits the planet that has fricken wings like Arnold Schwarzenegger's arms. I mean come on, give steroids to your athlete's but leave the chickens alone why don't you.

The heat really didn't kick in from the Extra Hot Franks, and the pumped up chicken left me feeling a bit cool overall.
On a subsequent visit I ordered the deep-fried chicken dinner and asked for a side of hot wing sauce. I was told that this is a homemade recipe. I can't confirm that but it didn't taste like the usual Franks or anything like that. It was actually pretty good, not really enough for me, but then what is?
One important point here, pretty much anything can and should be used as a delivery system for hot sauce. If they can sauce the wings they can sauce the tenders or an old shoe if requested. So don't be too intimidated to ask for the hot sauce on something other than wings.

About a 45 on the SOS scale and you gotta like your birds plumpy.

AC Tap - Door County 9322 Hwy 57. Baileys Harbor 920-839-2426

No comments:

Post a Comment