Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Husby's in Sister Bay hit the halfway mark on the Scale of Suffering.

Thanks go to Husby's for bearing with me and accommodating my many requests for increased heat intensity.

Husby's is a bar located on 42, just at the bottom of the hill in Sister Bay. James, Mike, Kayla and Company provide a warm welcome and make even the most miserable bums like me feel right at home.
Their menu doesn't really hold anything new for the heat craver, but with a bit of tweaking you can at least get to half way on the Scale of Suffering (SOS, defined in previous posts).
Their chicken wings are deep-fried then rolled in Frank's Hot Sauce. Sometimes (not always), the cook will add some chopped Jalapenos to the sauce to give a little more bite and flavor.
First off, I really like Frank's hot sauce, not so much for its heat intensity but more for its flavor. There's also a Frank's Red Hot Xtra Hot sauce, but Husby's use the original Franks and rely on a little chopped Jalapeno to kick it up.

Now when coaxed (and it was really quite easy), Husby's will make their chicken tenders and smother them in the same hot sauce used with their wings. Grab a side of Jalapeno and a bottle of the XXX sauce and you can attain at least a heat level of 50, on the SOS scale. During one experience I was able to break into a lower-eye sweat and had visible reddening of the lips and cheeks. My brow was perspiring and I remember some discomfort in the bathroom the following morning. Insufficient to award this experience with the prestigious "Refrigerated Toilet Roll" accolade, but close.

Talking with the cook one day, he happily suggested I purchase my own Habanero at Piggly Wiggly and bring it to him, whereupon he would dice it and add it raw to my hot sauce. I haven't done that yet since the Pig, Main Street Market and Econofoods offer nothing hotter than the miserable Jalapeno.
Kudos to Husby's for their flexibility and for attempting to humor me. Oh..and for their Wild Turkey 101 proof.

Rooze
PS -they have Central Waters beers on tap too. :)

4 comments:

  1. ...."My brow was perspiring and I remember some discomfort in the bathroom the following morning. Insufficient to award this experience with the prestigious "Refrigerated Toilet Roll" accolade, but close."

    You can't say that online, you just can't say it LOL...!!!
    Found you on MySpace, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any spicy foods at the out post?...just wondered, I'm a jalapeno fan myself, cant go any hotter than that !

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a private stash in the fridge, various Habenero sauces, an "Insanity" wing sauce, tabasco for the customers and jars of hot peppers for munching on during the day.

    I've made a few spicy dishes like a BBQ pulled pork but always keep the heat level low for customers.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...update to this post, Husby's have added "Dead Heat" sauce to their menu and it's great!!
    So good that they've just been awarded the coveted "Refrigerated Toilet Roll" award....read about it first on this blog.

    ReplyDelete